Wednesday, March 13, 2013

This One's a Fighter

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you hear it enough you start to believe it?" I've heard many people around me tell me I can't do things and feel like they want me to fail (not just in fitness). I used to believe it and as corny as it sounds, I decided to fight back in all aspects of my life. I'm tired of being a people pleaser. Being a people pleaser has effected the way I prioritize my life and most of the time, it's not in a healthy way.  I'm tired of caring what others think. I have a family and a job that comes first now.

I have to have my music on whenever I am out for a run or at the gym and it has helped me so much over the years with my self esteem. (Well that, and things like being pushed front and center in dance class. At that point you HAVE to have confidence in yourself or you WILL look stupid). I have a specific kind of music I listen to. I have to have fairly fast tempo music with jamming or uplifting lyrics. After listening to the same lyrics over and over I started to believe it...reversing the damaging effects of my negative childhood memories. Some of my favorite warmup songs are "Fighter" and "Firework". And some people might say its unhealthy to think about your past often, but for me that combined with listening to my music, surges my adrenalin to the max. Because I'm anxious to prove those wrong who doubted my capabilities in the past.

I also think about my kids and what I'm building for them. I'm branching off on a new journey where no one in my family has gone before and the idea that I can teach them so much more than what I knew about health and fitness, also spikes my adrenalin levels.


So, if you ever have reservations about yourself due to insensitive remarks of others from the past or your own sensitivity, find something to get you out of your negative mind set. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but listening to music of any kind is powerful. You start to believe what you hear. Hopefully, you chose to listen to something that will uplift and inspire you so people will take back their words and say, "This One's A Fighter".




No comments:

Post a Comment